Status: 17.01.2017

Tuition Fees-Details:

The tuition fees for each semester are set to 363,36€ . For nationals of third countries, the tuition is set to 726,26 €. In the extended enrolling period, Austrian students will have to pay 10% more, which makes a total of 399,70€.
In addition to your tuition, you still have to pay your "ÖH" fee, which includes next to all of our services as well as insurance.

A limited exemption applies to:

Bachelor, Master, PhD and Diploma students who are currently at or below their minimum time plus their study-specific tolerated extra time AND meet one of the following conditions:

1. Citizenship in Austria, in a country of the European Union, in one of the EEA-states ,in Switzerland, Convention refugees or for third country nationals which have a permanent residence permit or permanent residence card issued by the responsible public authorities in Austria or in a different EU-state.

2. If a third country national student receives "Studienbeihilfe from the State of Austria, the official notification informing that the "Studienbeihilfe" was granted replaces the proof of the conditions listed above. This official notification is to be handed in at the Registrar's Office.

3. Students who the"Personengruppen-Verordnung" applies to.

4. Students with a permanent residence permit that is titled differently than the "permanent residence permit for students.”

By exceeding the limited exemption time and fulfilling one of the conditions listed above, your tuition fee for one semester is 363,36€.

If law-determined exceptions are fulfilled, only the ÖH fee is due as payment.

Who is generally exempt from tuition?

Ordinary students from countries who belong to the DAC-List. They only have to pay the ÖH fee.

Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Yemen, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Kiribati, Comoros, Congo (Democratic Republic), Laos (Democratic Republic), Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Solomon Islands, Zambia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania (United Republic), Timor-Leste, Togo, Chad, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Central African Republic

Extraordinary students

Extraordinary students, despite their nationality, have to pay tuition for each semester they are enrolled in courses at the university. Their tuition fee is 363,63€ plus the ÖH fee which is 19,70 € a semester.
Extraordinary students enrolled in postgraduate courses have to pay the specific tuitions for their courses and the ÖH fee. They don’t have to pay the "standard" tuition!
When you are enrolled in more than one major at the university you have to pay tuition as soon as your limited exemption time ends! The limited exemption times for each of your parallel studies are calculated and after the first of them expiresyou have to pay tuition.

Law Determined Exceptions

Law determined exceptions apply to the following ordinary students:
Austrian Citizens, Citizens of the EU, Citizens of EWR-states (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), Citizens of Switzerland, Convention refugees  or favored third country nationals under one of the following condition:

Pregnancy and Illness

In the case of a hindrance to fulfill your studies through pregnancy or an illness for a period of 2 months or longer, your tuition fees are remitted. The hindrance has to be ongoing continuously over a period of at least 2 months.

What is needed for proof?
Confirmation from a specialized doctor
Application form


In the case of having to care for children, your tuition will be remitted until children turn the age of 7 or until they enter school.
What is needed for proof:
Certificate of birth (of the child), certificate of residency (child & student-->address has to match), a declaration in lieu of oath stating that the person taking care of the child is the student.
Application form

Employment during the time of your studies

If you earned more than

Term you'd like to exempt?Which Income tax assessment?The minimum you should have earned?
Winterterm 2012/1320115236,28 €
Summerterm 201320125267,64 €
Winterterm 2013/1420125267,64 €
Summerterm 201420135415,20 €
Winterterm 2014/1520135415,20 €
Summerterm 201520145534,34 €
Winterterm 2015/1620145534,34 €
Summerterm 201620155683,72 €
Winterterm 2016/1720155683,72 €

What is needed for proof ?
Income tax assessment from the Ministry of Finance for the last year  and the Application form

Military or Community Service

If you serve in the military or do your community service during your studies, you are remitted from your tuition, too.
What is needed for proof ?
Application form
Certificate from your Military Command or a certificate from the facility where you are serving your community service.


Students who are by law disabled with a percentage of 50% or higher are exempt from tuition throughout their studies.
What is needed for proof?
Application form

Disabled pass from the federal Austrian social office


Students who were granted the "Studienbeihilfe" will also get the tuition remitted.
Assertion of law determined exceptions

Print out the required proof and the right form, sign it, and send it in via email(scan), fax or mail.

via email to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

via fax to: +43 (0)3842/402-7042

Mail:         Montanuniversität Leoben,
                Abt. Studien und Lehrgänge,
                Franz Josef-Straße 18,
                8700 Leoben

If you don´t have a response within 2 weeks after sending in your application, please contact them again.

Attention: Documents not in German or English have to be translated by an interpreter bound to oath. The translation has to be attached to the original documents. In addition to its relevance to criminal law, fraud may lead to a tuition twice as high as originally proposed.

Deadline/ Reimbursement
If an application can´t be filed until the end of March for the summer term or until the end of October for the winter term, the tuition has to be paid even if you fulfill a condition for remitting. If you missed the deadline to apply for the remittance of the tuition in advance, you can claim reimbursement afterwards. For the summer term, the application for the reimbursement has to be filed by the end of September and for the winter term by the end of March.

You can download the forms from the german page.